Photo Album

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Iran Flahsback

Iran 2008 - I'm in the bottom row, all the way to the right

My University group to Iran in 2008 as in the picture above. We learned a lot on this trip, and i thought i'd share some of it.

We are all posing at the Tomb of Cyrus. It is the burial place of Cyrus the Great of Persia. Cyrus the Great was the Emperor who founded the Persian Empire under the Achaemenid dynasty. Cyrus ruled from 539 B.C. until his death in 530 B.C. He was said to have been a generous leader.

Me at the Tomb Of Cyrus

The tomb as seen above is said to be the oldest base-isolated structure in the world! There is said to be no concrete evidence that it is the tomb of Cyrus. But it is said that Alexander believed it to be. Alexander commanded one of his warriors, to enter the monument. They found all types of grave loot and an inscription on the tomb. We have found no sign of an inscription, but Strabo reports that it read:
Passer-by, I am Cyrus, who gave the Persians an empire, and was king of Asia.
Grudge me not therefore this monument.
Another variation, as documented in Persia: The Immortal Kingdom, is:
O man, whoever thou art, from wheresoever thou cometh, for I know you shall come, I am Cyrus, who founded the empire of the Persians.
Grudge me not, therefore, this little earth that covers my body.
Source for the translations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasargadae

Hope you enjoyed the flashback with me!
.

2 comments:

  1. I have always found archaeology fascinating. But it is probably the romantic idea of it rather than the spend-days-brushing-the-sand with-a-delicate-brush-in-a-country-that-has-a history-of-violent-internal-conflict part of it.

    Oh yeah, the technical paper part not so much me! Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spending the day brushing the sand is fun, its the climbing a mountain or carrying buckets of sand that gets to you lol

    ReplyDelete